Friday, February 23, 2018
Tuesday, 10 September 2013 04:05

Old Harbour beaten in D’Cup opener

Written by 
Rate this item
(1 Vote)

Old Harbour


Kemps Hill


Romaine Richards 42nd, Davion Pinnock 52nd, Donovan Salmon 69th, Ronnell Miller 90+

Old Harbour High were trounced 0-4 by Kemps Hill High at Soya Oval in Zone N on Tuesday, as their 2013 daCosta Cup campaign got off to a horrible start.

Romaine Richards’ angled volley was the main highlight in a lacklustre first half. Davion Pinnock scrambled home his effort in the 52nd minute to double Kemps Hill’s lead shortly after the break.

The visitors were in total command after the host’s goalkeeper, Junior Graham, innocuously spilled Donovan Salmon’s long-range strike into his goal.

The Dwight Smith-coached Kemps Hill still found time to add another when Ronnell Miller came off the bench to score a header in time added, making the Clarendon side a happy bunch.

The game was expected to be a close one after the spoils were shared early last season between the two teams, albeit Kemps Hill went on to top the zone while Old Harbour finished third and failed to advance.

Perhaps with the exception of the visiting supporters, no one expected a 4-0 scoreline, especially after a poor first half display by both teams.

At the start of the match, players on both sides showed clear signs of nerves, making the football unattractive on a rainy afternoon. There was nothing to write home about until half hour into the game when Salmon, the Kemps Hill captain, let fly a powerful volley that crashed onto the underside of the crossbar but did not cross the goal line.

It was a reprieve that didn’t last long for Old Harbour High, however, as Salmon, who delivered a man-of-the-match performance, sent in a high ball for the equally impressive Richards to volley low and hard into the far corner of the goal.

At the other end, Kemps Hill custodian Devroy Wright did brilliantly to deny Jovaughn Blake after Old Harbour Romario Beharie’s steely run in just before the break.

But that would prove to be the best opportunity for Uriel Meghie’s boys, as they were three goals down with 21 minutes to go in normal time. Meghie will have plenty of work to do in the coming days as first his defenders did a poor job, which resulted in Akeem McDaniel being able to go down the byline before crossing the ball – and in a mad scrape to clear the danger – allowed Pinnock to poke home.

Things took a turn for the worse when Graham, whose competence in the goal seemed questionable from the start, inauspiciously turned Salmon’s strike into his own goal.

It prompted several home fans to leave the venue while Graham was replaced by a peeved Meghie with second-choice keeper Colin Campbell. For a brief moment Old Harbour had more possession but again Blake fired wide off target after getting a clear sight on goal.

Salmon dominated the midfield as he was the architect behind every Kemps Hill attack. The tall playmaker again fired a high ball, which the Old Harbour backline had trouble dealing with for the entire afternoon, but substitute Shamar Cooper failed to make any connection.

Read 831 times

Email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

MUST READ Articles

News Feed - Sports